Pages

Saturday, December 03, 2011

are we dreaming?

This week's Sepia Saturday is around the theme of "nurse".When I was just shy of 16 I left school & began work as a "cadet nurse" at Stansfield View Hospital in Todmorden.A bit grim! An old Workhouse.Ontop of the Pennine Moors.Miles from Civilization [or what passed for it in Lancashire!]I left after 18 months.Disgusted by the random violence (patient on patient:staff on patient)But it did have some happy times.This photo was taken on a "Sports Day".
The music features the late-great English singer Kevin Coyne.
Himself a former psychiatric nurse in Preston.


........Early in his career, Coyne turned down a meeting with founder of Elektra Records Jac Holzman (Coyne's band Siren were on Elektra in America) to discuss replacing Jim Morrison in The Doors. "I didn't like the leather trousers!" was Coynes' alleged reason....... [wikipedia]
www.kevincoyne.de

is It An Age-Thing?These Days I Usually Wake Up 2 or 3 times a night.It's so predictable now that I have developed my own Ritual around my nocturnal toilet visits.This includes grabbing a yogurt from the fridge & eating it before I go back to sleep........
Anyway! I had an ultra-vivid dream this week.I dreamt Me & my Son Chris were visiting my late-Mum in Halifax.We went to the street where she had lived, but walked on..I knew she was somewhere else now......A strange row of houses just beyond.Out popped her smiling head from behind a front door!
Michael Harford [  A.K.A.Coffee Messiah  ]

It was one of those dreams where you half-know you are dreaming.I thought I must find& remember the name of this strange street.It took some finding,but we finally found the street sign."Wainansh Avenue" it said.
On waking up [again!] i remembered and wrote down the address.
The next day I even searched Google Maps.Such a place exists nowhere on Earth! Just goes to show,not everything can be found on The Internet.
Speaking Of Ritual.At Least 6 to 8 people go with me for the Annual Rochdale Hamam visit to The Manchester German Markets. here Are Last Year's photos.If you wish to join the booze-up.Meet Under The Clock at Victoria Railway Station .2pm prompt next Wednesday.
.........a mix of lush electronica mixed with spoken word
samples of people having their dreams analyzed by
scientists in a secret laboratory as well as children
talking about their nightmares.
Oh and some other stuff, all recorded live on the show
using a MW radio to link some sections no overdubs!

23 comments:

Brian Miller said...

kinda glad he did not...that would not have been a good idea...

cool on the cadet nurse...closest i got was a first aid instrcutor..

Kurt said...

There are so many English musicians!

Little Nell said...

Bit of a baptism of fire for a 16 year old! BTW Hebdon Bridge features in The Times Travel section today under the banner ‘The Great British Weekend’. Saw it and thought of you!

tony said...

thanks Nell...I'm just off to the Shops I will buy (Murdock,spit)A Copy.

Dominic Rivron said...

Almost like Wainhouse (as in the tower)...

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

This is a great post, with a bit of everything thrown into the mix. Good for you getting that early education of psychiatric nursing; I'm sure that it had an impact. Loved the dream story too.

Take care,

Kathy M.

Karen S. said...

Great post! Those of us that aren't dreaming, should be! Oh does that video rock! It seems like it could have been filmed just yesterday too....you sure look handsome in your white uniforms too! Great photos every one of them...and I can share your life a bit back then, I worked in a nursing home in my beginnings...and it was all of us working side by side everyday that made their lives happier...and once in a great while I'd see a relative breeze in for a moment to complain about this and that...and off they'd go as if they had done something on one of their four early visits...

Tom said...

leather pants or denim overalls? hmmm. I wonder if dreams are the unfathomable door to another dimension? There has to be a Wainansh Avenue somewhere or time in the universe

Bob Scotney said...

My dreams are never such that I can recognise places or locations.
At 16 I couldn't have tackled the job you did.

blackwatertown said...

More good and interesting (new to me) music.
Thanks as ever.

Alan Burnett said...

Like Dominic, I too thought of Wainhouse. Did you have your glasses on in your dream? Maybe you mis-read it.

Little Nell said...

Tony, I read it online, as we’re a bit staved of ‘decent’ newspapers here. Every day I find myself shouting at my iPad :) If you didn’t get a copy I can e-mail the article to you.

tony said...

I Got A Copy Thanks Nell,But Thank You For The Offer.Hebden Bridge Is Getting Famous!
Alan! I Hadn't Thought About Glasses!I Dont Recall Dreaming In A Spectacular Fashion! But The Next Time I Lucid Dream , I Will Magic-Up A Mirror To Check.

Zuzana said...

Love that old photo Tony, you look like a doctor.;)
I do not wake up ib the night, thank goodness, or I would never fall asleep again.;)
xoxo

tony said...

"Doctor Zimnoch" Has A Certain Ring To It! :)

Postcardy said...

That hospital sounds like a terrible place to work, especially compared to being in school.

tony said...

Ha-Ha...Not If You Went To The Skool I Did!:)

sunny said...

like your post Mr tony.

TICKLEBEAR said...

Go easy on the drinking on Wednesday. The nightmares might be a little less spooky. Next time you find yourself on Wainansh Avenue, take a picture!!
:)~
HUGZ

Liz Stratton said...

Now how on earth can I possibly follow Ticklebear's comment?! Impressed by your first job. That must have really been something. I'm amazed you made it for 18 months.

Teresa Evangeline said...

"Are We Dreaming?" I say, yes. Layers upon layers, like this post with its own many layers of dreams, each a fascinating aspect of this "unfathomable life." Yours is an interesting contribution. It helps to be in love with life as much as you obviously are.

My WV: sitchant

totsymae said...

A bittersweet dream.

Are you in Germany now? I used to be there, in Mannheim, Ramstein and such. Bitter cold weather but clean.

FrankandMary said...

Old age & yogurt...at least it isn't a Fiber One yogurt ;o.
~Mary